Thursday, March 6, 2008

Life after Citabria

The title says it all. By late September, it was confirmed that my favorite taildragger in the world was damaged and, combined with the engine coming to its TBO limit, she was not economical to repair, so my aerobatic activities ground to a halt. As did my personal flying. But I did fly a lot on commercial airliners between then and now, visiting Heathrow, Cancun, Las Vegas and Calgary.

In early October I flew to UK to spend 5 days in the freezing quarry to get trained on a new diving equipment. In flying terms, it was like making transition from twin engine propeller plane to a modern jet. Following that training, i needed to spent a lot of time in the water practicing, which i did through out October and November and then flew to Mexico for a week of fun diving.

I did a half-hearted attempt to resume my night rating in December-January and even got it to a point when i only need a dual night x-country and 1.5 hrs more solo night time to finish, but then my instructor left, Wx quirks stripped me of both day and night currencies and I moved in to a new house on Feb 1 (anyone who moved would know that a few weeks after can be chaotic) and then went on a back to back trips to, respectively, Las Vegas (for fun) and Calgary (business).

So my life after Citabria was exciting, colorful and crazy busy, but a big part of it was missing -personal flying. My recent helicopter tour of the Grand Canyon (post coming soon), made me realize how much i missed flying, even if it has to be straight and level for a time being until i find another taildragger to rent or recover from the house purchase and buy my own. I even know which one I want.

No comments: