Sunday, November 30, 2008

Flight of Passage - book review

I knew I would enjoy this book when I read the description that called it a “Huckleberry Finn meets The Spirit of St. Louis”. Having turned the last page, I realized I loved it.

This book was a memoir, a coming of age story, a father-sons relationship story and an aviation adventure of pure kind. It is about two teenagers flying across America in a Piper Cub with 85hp engine and no radio in 1966. One of the teenagers grew up to be a successful writer and the language of the book and descriptions of the scenery and people was borderline poetic.

It was the book about simplicity and freedom of flying a very simple machine across the continent, relying on a compass, maps and dead reckoning. The trip had the moments of sheer terror, disappointment, pure joy and a side-splitting laughter. I felt like I was right there with them, living the adventure instead of reading about it.

It was also the book about good old days gone by as I do not believe the flight like this would be possible today with all the rules, restrictions and regulations. This book made me realize why I liked flying the Citabria and gliders that much – because it lets me recapture that very simplicity and freedom and a joy of living in the moment.

http://www.amazon.com/Flight-Passage-Memoir-Rinker-Buck/dp/0786883154/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1228079763&sr=1-1

No comments: